Highlights of this tour
- Piazza del Duomo
- Piazza della Signoria (with Palazzo Vecchio)
- Walk into medieval streets
- Ponte Vecchio
- San Lorenzo market
- Michelangelo’s David (on request)
FLORENCE FOR BEGINNERS
Florence for Beginners is an introductory walk to get to know the most famous sites of this museum city, compact enough to be able to walk almost everywhere !
Your guide will meet you at the hotel if you stay downtown or else we will meet at Piazza della Repubblica (we’ll let you know exact location when you book of course).
Florence for Beginners starts ideally with Piazza della Signoria, political and civic center, towered by the huge castle-like Palazzo Vecchio (14th century), still today Florence’s City Hall, recently quoted by Dan Brown in his ‘Inferno’.
By Palazzo Vecchio is the ‘Loggia’, world famous for its impressive collection of sculptures, such as the gigantic ‘Biancone’ (the ‘Big White’, but it actually changed color many times!) and the Perseus by Benvenuto Cellini.
The atmosphere of this square is always very lively and invites to stay long, but we need to continue! In few minutes we reach Piazza del Duomo, where in one single spot you’ll be overwhelmed by three of the most iconic monuments of the city: Giotto’s elegant Bell Tower, the octagonal Baptistery with ts renown ‘Gates of Paradise’ and, propably the most breath taking, Filippo Brunelleschi’s incredible Dome, majestically towering over the polychrome façade of the Duomo (Santa Maria del Fiore).
Your guide will sketch the basic historical facts and connect the political and economical development of Florence with the genesis of its inestimable artistic patrimony.
Walking along via dei Tornabuoni Florence for Beginners steps into Palazzo Strozzi and admire its courtyard, a masterpiece of the Early Renaissance.
We might also have a coffee here, After that we’ll reach the very heart of Florence: Ponte Vecchio! The Old Bridge is really old (the present dates back to 1345.
Cost of this tour
- This tour lasts 3 hours – costs 255 euros up to 6 people, for larger parties please inquire at email
- Admissions: Santa Croce (on request) 9 euros
- If you wish we can add an extra hour to include Michelangelo’David.
- In this case the cost of the tour will be 340 euros (up to 6 people)
- We will take care of prebooking the admission to the Accademia Gallery
- Admission fee: 24 euro per person
- The Accademia Gallery is closed on Monday
Dress Code and advice
- No shorts/miniskirts or sleeveless garments.
- Knee high and short sleeves are ok!
- Wear comfortable shoes or sandals and hat in summer.
- We advise if you have a little time, to include David in a different tour, for instance our “On the Tracks of Michelangelo” or “The Golden Age of Florentine Sculpture”.